Monday, August 24, 2009

Regarding Spice.

The worm is the spice, the spice is the worm. - Paul Atreides

This last weekend, I had the chance to eat a delicious meal of Indian food. I have rarely eaten such type of food, but as I read the menu, the Chicken Tikka Masala looked interesting enough. I ordered that from the kind man in the orange turban and waited for my food. My wife also ordered a Masala varation that included lamb. When we got our food, my nose filled with the rich aroma of the spices used. Very different taste from food common to the US. But I found that I loved it.
It shows how walled off I was to not know of such a great food. I am a great lover of spices. I know my hot sauce (picante) well, and I love the different variations in hispanic heat. Those that are mixed with vinegar, those that are pure chili pepper, those that a heavy with tomato or cilantro. The spices used in indian food were still exotic to me, and it makes me want to eat more and more of the unknown foods of this world our God has created for us. Such great diversity is amoung us, food is only one type of diversity. I would exhort you all to try a wide variety of food, and as you do, seek to understand the culture, ideas and methods of others.

1 comment:

Julie Clark said...

so nice of you to start your blog with a quote from "Dune". You know how much I loooove that movie. ewwww!